No opinion polls 48 hours before voting begins: EC
EC banned exit polls till the last lap in the event of multi-phase elections.
New Delhi: The Election Commission (EC) on Tuesday banned dissemination of results of opinion polls 48 hours before the end of the poll in case of single-phased election, and put a blanket ban on exit polls till the last lap in the event of multi-phase elections.
Acting on a Supreme Court order, the Commission, which had taken a similar decision a couple of years ago and was oveturned by the apex court then, issued detailed guidelines for publication and dissemination of results of opinion and exit polls.
"No result of any opinion or exit poll conducted at any time shall be published, publicised or disseminated in any manner by print, electronic or any other media at any time during the period of 48 hours ending with the hour fixed for closing of poll in an election held in a single phase," the EC said.
The electronic media includes government and private radio and television and covers satellite, DTH, terrestrial and cable channels.
Dissemination includes publication in any newspaper, magazine or periodical or display on electronic media or circulation by means of any pamphlet, poster, placard, handbill or any other document, EC said.
Recommended For You
- QUITTING ON TOPList of Champions Who Suddenly Called it Quits
- What’s new?OnePlus 3T Launched at Rs 29,999: All You Need to Know
- Film ReviewMoana Movie Review: This Disney Adventure is Magical and Inspirational
- Creative!Sonam Gupta Bewafa Hai Makes It To The IIT Guwahati Examination Paper
- PARTNER CONTENTCash Crunch: Yes Bank SIMsePAY Enables Cashless Transactions Without Smartphone or Internet