Farmer commits suicide in the village adopted by Rahul
The farmer allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself in Madhavpur village as he was unable to pay off his debt.
Lucknow: A farmer identified as Kapoor Singh allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself in Madhavpur village of Uttar Pradesh's Banda district. According to the police, Kapoor Singh hanged himself as he was unable to pay off his Rs 5 lakh debt that he had taken for the marriage of his daughter. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had adopted Madhavpur village in 2007.
Police officials say that Kapoor Singh has takes loan of Rs 2.5 lakh from a bank and another Rs 2.5 lakh form some people for his daughter's marriage two days ago. As he was unable to pay off the debt, he committed suicide.
According to sources, 11 farmers have committed suicide due to financial problems in Madhopur village in the last one year . Singh's family said he was very worried due to the huge debt and so he took this drastic step.
His family members add that even the bank was putting pressure on him to return the money and as Kapoor was not in a condition to return it, he decided to end his life.
Rahul Gandhi had adopted the village in 2007 following a spate of suicides by farmers. He had then reportedly announced that he would not allow any farmer to commit suicide in the village.
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Govt Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Chairs All-Party Meet, Gowda Sits on Dharna
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi