DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Congress Core Group discusses Food ordinance
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Food Minister KV Thomas will try to get the opposition on board for the Bill.
New Delhi: The ordinance on the ambitious Food Security Bill was discussed at the Congress Core Group meet on Friday. The meeting decided that Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and Food Minister KV Thomas will reach out to the opposition for consensus on the Bill.
The Food Security Bill aims to provide 5 kg of foodgrain per person to 67 per cent of the population at subsidised prices.
Under the Bill, 75 per cent of the rural population and 50 per cent of the poor in urban India will be able to purchase rice at Rs 3 per kg, wheat at Rs 2 per kg and coarse grains at Re 1 per kg per person.
The bill is the brainchild of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and is being pegged as the gamechanger for the government ahead of the coming elections.
Recommended For You
- This Old Picture Of Shah Rukh Khan, Farah Khan and Karan Johar Is Pure Gold
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- 'Missing' Chennai-based Model Gaanam Nair Returns Home
- List of Top Five Bikes to Buy in Less Than Rs 1 Lakh: The One That's Meant For You
- Did Priyanka Just Talk About Her Relationship With SRK?