Gadkari questioned by I-T officials for 4 hours
Gadkari was quizzed by Geetha Ravichandran, Director of I-T (Investigations) in Nagpur.
Nagpur: Officials of the Income tax Department questioned former BJP President Nitin Gadkari in Nagpur on Thursday. Gadkari was questioned over his investments in the Purti Group for about 4 hours.
The former BJP chief is facing allegations of financial irregularities. Gadkari, who was earlier slated to appear tomorrow, was quizzed by Geetha Ravichandran, Director of I-T (Investigations) at the I-T office in central Nagpur's Sadar area, sources said.
The BJP leader's representatives had earlier submitted to the I-T department a 25-page document in reply to questions regarding his personal transactions and investments related to the Purti group of companies and few others. Gadkari has denied allegations of any wrongdoing and said that he has resigned from the Purti group sometime back.
The I-T department had earlier issued summons for appearance to Gadkari in the second half of January as the taxman was probing alleged tax evasion case against him and his group of companies. The department has been probing various firms that invested in Gadkari's company Purti Power and Sugar Limited (PPSL).
The department, according to sources, has allegedly found the details of almost 30 companies that have been "in transactions" with PPSL. On January 22, I-T officials had conducted on-field inquiries at 11 premises in Mumbai belonging to alleged shell companies related to Purti group and found no trace of these entities at their given addresses.
(With Additional Inputs From PTI)
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- India's oil imports from Saudi Arabia and Iraq hit the highest in more than a decade
- Saudi Arabia to raise petrol prices by up to 40 per cent
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets