Gadkari questioned by I-T officials for 4 hours
Gadkari was quizzed by Geetha Ravichandran, Director of I-T (Investigations) in Nagpur.
Nagpur: Officials of the Income tax Department questioned former BJP President Nitin Gadkari in Nagpur on Thursday. Gadkari was questioned over his investments in the Purti Group for about 4 hours.
The former BJP chief is facing allegations of financial irregularities. Gadkari, who was earlier slated to appear tomorrow, was quizzed by Geetha Ravichandran, Director of I-T (Investigations) at the I-T office in central Nagpur's Sadar area, sources said.
The BJP leader's representatives had earlier submitted to the I-T department a 25-page document in reply to questions regarding his personal transactions and investments related to the Purti group of companies and few others. Gadkari has denied allegations of any wrongdoing and said that he has resigned from the Purti group sometime back.
The I-T department had earlier issued summons for appearance to Gadkari in the second half of January as the taxman was probing alleged tax evasion case against him and his group of companies. The department has been probing various firms that invested in Gadkari's company Purti Power and Sugar Limited (PPSL).
The department, according to sources, has allegedly found the details of almost 30 companies that have been "in transactions" with PPSL. On January 22, I-T officials had conducted on-field inquiries at 11 premises in Mumbai belonging to alleged shell companies related to Purti group and found no trace of these entities at their given addresses.
(With Additional Inputs From PTI)
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- US Condemns Terror Attack in Pakistan's Quetta
- Donald Trump Will Be Next US President, Predicts Election Wizard
- Donald Trump's Daughter-in-Law Celebrates Diwali at Hindu Temple in US
- Donald Trump Says Would Probe Email Investigation of Hillary Clinton
- Clinton Policy on Syria Would Lead to World War Three: Donald Trump