DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Geelani welcomes Verma panel's recommendation on AFSPA
Syed Ali Geelani expressed doubt that the government will take the recommendations of Justice Verma panel seriously.
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Geelani has hailed the recommendations of Justice JS Verma Commission regarding the review of AFSPA and remarks with regards to armed forces personnel guilty of sexual crimes, saying it is justified and a welcome step.
"Though the (armed) forces, paramilitary and police personnel are involved in hundreds of sexual assaults and brutal gang rapes, the authorities at all levels have ignored calls for free and fair trials of those involved in heinous crime. The remarks of Justice Verma Commission on Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) are a welcome step," Geelani said in a statement.
He expressed doubt that the government will take the recommendations of Justice Verma panel seriously and take steps to implement these in letter and spirit. "It is quite evident that Centre in no case would allow to investigate any such case against its forces," he added.
Recommended For You
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- 'Anil Kumble, Virat Kohli Not On Same Page About Pay Hike'
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- GST Impact – Mercedes Announces Price Reduction by Upto 9%