Goa has a special place in my heart: Narendra Modi
Narendra Modi has now officially become the man who will pilot the BJP's electoral fortunes in the next general election.
Panaji: Goa has a special place in my life, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi said on Sunday, shortly after being appointed BJP party's chairman of the election management committee.
The appointment makes Modi the face of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, for which he credits Goa and the luck which the coastal state seems to accord him.
"Goa has a special place in my life. The papers also say that Goa is lucky for Modi.
"This is the same Goa which in 2002 gave me the go ahead to serve Gujarat," Modi said, recalling that year's BJP national executive meeting, which had served as a political springboard for his success.
Modi was speaking at a meeting of state party office bearers in Taleigaon, near Panaji.
The 2002 meet had been held against the backdrop of the post-Godhra riots and Modi, who was under fire from both the opposition as well as a section of the BJP, some of whom were keen on him quitting chief ministership.
It was party stalwart LK Advani's decision during the BJP meeting in Goa to back him that helped Modi retain his chair. A fact he acknowledges even now.
"If Goa had not given me the permission, I would not have been able to serve in Gujarat. Goa has given me blessings," he said.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- Kaine, Trump, U.S. Lawmakers Raise Concerns Over AT&T-Time Warner Deal
- Hillary Clinton Achieves 12-Point Lead over Trump
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: Andhra Turn Tables on J&K; Himachal Force a Draw Against Tripura