Govt manoeuvred votes on FDI motion, claims Oppn
The BJP also lashed out at the BSP and the SP for making a 'U-turn' on their stand on FDI retail and alleged that they had 'colluded' with the government.
New Delhi: Opposition parties on Friday cried foul after their motion against FDI in multi-brand retail was defeated in Rajya Sabha, accusing government of "manoeuvring" votes by "colluding" with BSP and SP. Parties like BJP, CPI-M, CPI and Trinamool Congress insisted that the victory for the government came even as a majority of the parties in the House did not favour the measure.
V Maitreyan (AIADMK), who had moved the motion, said voting did not take place on "merits of the issue, but other considerations...It is a victory of the minority." He said government won through "management" of numbers and not the policy.
BJP also lashed out at BSP and SP for making a "U-turn" on their stand on FDI in multi-brand retail and alleged that they had "colluded" with the government to ensure its victory. "They (SP and BSP) need to explain this to the people. We are not going to let them get away. We will take this issue to the people. We will go to Uttar Pradesh where the two major political parties had colluded and helped the government at the last moment and by making lame excuses," BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said.
Alleging that the government's win is a result of manipulation, he said, "If you go by the speeches made in the House by different parties, an overwhelming majority of the members of Rajya Sabha have voted against FDI in retail. BJP leader Prakash Javadekar said, "On the streets and in Parliament, there is opposition to FDI in retail. But when it comes to voting in the House, the instruments of the government and its habit of having its way by hook or by crook are at work. It wants to stay in power through any means."
- India to Reclaim Top Spot If They Win Kolkata Test Against New Zealand
- Cheteshwar Pujara's Kanpur Transformation Augurs Well for Team India
- Virat Kohli Offers Condolences to Families of Uri Attack Victims
- R Ashwin Is A Priceless Cricketer : Virat Kohli
- Xiaomi Mi5s, Mi 5s Plus Smartphones Powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 SoCs Launched in China
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- Mirzya New Trailer is All About Love, Passion and Music
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead