Govt may move SC against HC minority quota order
The government could move the Supreme Court as early as next week to challenge Andhra Pradesh High Court order.
New Delhi: With admissions underway to IITs and universities, the government could move the Supreme Court as early as next week to challenge Andhra Pradesh High Court order quashing 4.5 per cent sub quota for minorities.
Sources in the government said the HRD ministry is pressing for an appeal to be filed in the apex court by next week as the HC judgement scrapping the sub-quota has put in quandary the nearly 350 IIT aspirants who had been shortlisted under the provision.
Earlier in the day, Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said the government would move the apex court in July.
However, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal is learnt to have discussed the issue. The HRD Ministry is of the view that the issue cannot be delayed as IIT counselling will take place on June 13 and admissions are also on for various universities.
The decision to move the apex court comes after the Andhra Pradesh High Court annulled the government's decision to carve out 4.5 per cent reservation for minorities from within the OBC quota.
"I have spoken to Kapil Sibal. He has no worry at this point of time about the issue of whether the benefit of 4.5 per cent will be available to students this session... I asked him whether there was a shortage of time. The impression was there wasn't," Khurshid told a press conference in New Delhi on Thursday afternoon.
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- Samajwadi Party's Old Guard May Need Akhilesh's 'Youth Appeal' in 2017 Polls
- Samajwadi Party Rift: Mulayam Backs Amar, Shivpal; Meet Ends in Acrimony
- Trump Calls Clinton 'Nasty Woman'; Voters Rally Behind her
- Kaine, Trump, U.S. Lawmakers Raise Concerns Over AT&T-Time Warner Deal
- Hillary Clinton Achieves 12-Point Lead over Trump
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official