Govt May not Extend December 30 Deadline for Depositing Old Notes
Representative image (PTI Photo)
New Delhi: The government is not considering extending the December 30 deadline for depositing the demonetised Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes, whose demonetisation was announced on Novemeber 8, Parliament was informed on Tuesday.
"No such proposal for extension of deadline beyond December 30, 2016, is presently under consideration of the government," Minister of State for Finance Arun Ram Meghwal told the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
He also said that sufficient cash is available with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the banks.
"There is sufficient cash available with the Reserve Bank of India and banks. Circulation of notes in respect of Rs 100 has already been increased," he said.
To cater to the requirement in rural areas, banks have been advised to supply smaller denomination notes of Rs 100 and less, the minister added.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli and Co Thank Pune for Hospitality as They Head to Cuttack
- Bigg Boss 10: Om Swami to be a Part of Show's Finale
- Reliance Jio Effect: Vodafone Offering 4GB Data for The Price of 1GB and More
- Bigg Boss 10: Monalisa Gets Married to Boyfriend Vikrant in The House, See Pics
- Watch: How People Closest to Us, Transform Us in a Moment