Govt May not Extend December 30 Deadline for Depositing Old Notes
Representative image (PTI Photo)
New Delhi: The government is not considering extending the December 30 deadline for depositing the demonetised Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes, whose demonetisation was announced on Novemeber 8, Parliament was informed on Tuesday.
"No such proposal for extension of deadline beyond December 30, 2016, is presently under consideration of the government," Minister of State for Finance Arun Ram Meghwal told the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
He also said that sufficient cash is available with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the banks.
"There is sufficient cash available with the Reserve Bank of India and banks. Circulation of notes in respect of Rs 100 has already been increased," he said.
To cater to the requirement in rural areas, banks have been advised to supply smaller denomination notes of Rs 100 and less, the minister added.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology