Govt Should Have Made 'Proper Arrangements' for Demonetisation: Shashi Tharoor
Former Union minister Shashi Tharoor on Tuesday said the government should have made "proper arrangements" to avoid the hardship faced by people in the wake of demonetisation.
File image of Congress MP Shashi Tharoor
Jaipur: Former Union minister Shashi Tharoor on Tuesday said the government should have made "proper arrangements" to avoid the hardship faced by people in the wake of demonetisation.
"The new notes should have been printed in advance. There was no ground work before announcing the decision," he told reporters here.
The Congress leader alleged Prime Minister Narendra Modi took the decision in zeal but the real ground work which should have been done was missing.
"There is no cash in ATMs, people are facing hardship in getting the money. The government had never thought of this situation.
There was no planning and that has done damage to the common people," he said.
On the incidents of terror attacks, he said the government should refrain from making mere statements and need to work.
"We are getting news on an attack, which is reoccurring.
Now, action is needed not statement (or bhashan)," he said. Tharoor also welcomed women's re-entry to Mumbai's Hazi Ali dargah.
"The Constitution is supreme and in democracy, the right of equality should be properly followed," he said.
Tharoor was in the city for the launch of his book 'An Era of Darkness'.
Recommended For You
- Murali Vijay Back in India Squad for First Two Tests against Sri Lanka
- Five Vacations You Can Take Before 2017 Ends
- WhatsApp Live Location: Say Hi to This New Feature to Sour Your Relationships
- Asia Cup: Team Reminded me of 2003 Triumph; Victory will be Special for Jugraj, Says Dhanraj Pillay
- Rajkummar Rao-Kriti Kharbanda's Pallo Latke Is A Must-Have In Your Playlist This Wedding Season