Gujarat's gun-toting MLA quits Congress to join BJP
A former MP, Vitthal Radadia, is a strong Leuva Patel community leader and has strong support base among farmers of Saurashtra.
Gandhinagar: In a major blow to the Congress in Gujarat, influential leader Vitthal Radadia, who was embroiled in a gun-toting controversy, and his son Jayesh, on Monday resigned as MLAs and are set to join the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Accompanied by his son, Radadia visited the legislative assembly and submitted their resignations to Speaker Vaju Vala. They later drove to Ahmedabad, where the state Congress headquarters is located, and put in their papers.
A former MP, Radadia, is a strong Leuva Patel community leader from Saurashtra. He was at the centre of a controversy when he was caught brandishing a gun at a toll plaza in Karzan in Vadodara district after being asked to show his identity card.
"I have tendered my resignation to protest negative policies of the Congress against the state of Gujarat. The Congress culture is of favoritism," Radadia said after submitting his resignation as MLA.
"I have submitted my resignation from the Congress and also as an MLA so that I can join the BJP," he said in reply to a question and showered praise on Chief Minister Narendra Modi. "Modi has brought Gujarat to new heights of development and he is the prime ministerial candidate of BJP," he said.
Vitthal Radadia, who had resigned as MP and decided to continue as MLA after the recent state assembly elections, was upset over not being made Leader of the Opposition, the post which went to party veteran and former chief minister Shankarsinh Vaghela.
Radadia, is a powerful figure in state's cooperative sector and has strong support base among farmers of Saurashtra.
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
- Bollywood Friday: Will Sushant Singh Rajput's MS Dhoni Live Up To The Expectations?
- MS Dhoni Biopic May be the Biggest Risk of Sushant Singh Rajput's Career
- Everybody Deserves to Know Dhoni's Inspiring Story: Bhumika Chawla
- Sushant Singh Rajput Talks about Dhoni, Bollywood In His First Selfie Interview
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18