DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Hurriyat factions clash in Sopore; hurl stones
The supporters of the two factions clashed during Hurriyat Chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq's public meeting in Sopore.
Srinagar: Hurriyat Chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq had a tough time in Sopore town today when supporters of pro-Pakistan separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani hurled 'Kangris' and stones.
Sopore town, 55 km from here, has been the traditional bastion of Geelani, who heads the breakaway faction of Hurriyat, and his party Jamaat-e-Islamia and has frequently targeted Hurriyat leaders from the moderate rival faction.
The supporters of the two factions clashed as the Mirwaiz completed his public meeting at Tarzoo in the town and his supporters raised slogans in his favour.
The sloganeering irked the followers of hardline Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani who started counter slogans.
The situation turned violent as Geelani's supporters initially started hurling stones and later resorted to throwing of 'Kangris', traditional firepots used by people during winters.
The Mirwaiz left the place as the situation turned violent and police had to step in to chase away the supporters from both sides.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli and Shikhar Dhawan Turn on Delhi Swag in London
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- Bangladesh vs Pakistan, Champions Trophy Warm-up, Live From Birmingham