If consensus, Pawar will have no qualms in becoming PM: Patel
Praful Patel also dismissed the possibility of a merger between Congress and NCP.
New Delhi: NCP chief Sharad Pawar will be certainly ready to become the Prime Minister if there is situation where there is a consensus on the issue, his party leader and Union Minister Praful Patel has said.
He has also dismissed the possibility of a merger between Congress and NCP. "And this gossip of merger with Congress, which happens many times, that is never possible," Patel said in an interview to Prabhu Chawla on 'Teekhi Baat' television programme.
"If there is a situation where there is consensus on the issue, then why not Prabhuji, Sharad Pawarji will be certainly ready (to become Prime Minister)," he said, adding, "But I think to talk like this now is basically wrong."
Noting that Pawar will remain the President of NCP and that the reins of the party will be with him even if he did not contest elections, Patel said Pawar will be NCP's candidate for the post of Prime Minister.
Asked if he was willing to work under Rahul Gandhi if UPA is in majority after the general elections, Patel said, "Certainly." To a question that he and Pawar would both be willing to work under Rahul, the Minister for Heavy Industries said, "Who will take decisions (speaking of Congress-led UPA) is not the issue.
"The government runs on the basis of the largest party, Congress is the largest party in UPA and it does not seem that in future they won't be the largest party," Patel said.
He also said there is a similarity between NDA and UPA as far as foreign policy, economic policy are concerned. "This does not mean we are comparing NDA and UPA," he said.
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Justice Lodha Speaks on SC's Decision to Curb BCCI's Financial Prowess
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- BSF Kills 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border