MHA hands over Italian marines' case to NIA
Sources also said the Centre is likely to inform the apex court on Tuesday that the trial can now be held in an NIA court.
New Delhi: Home Ministry on Monday handed over the investigation of the Italian marines case to the National Investigative Agency (NIA). Sources said the NIA was asked to take over the probe after the Supreme Court ruled Kerala police had no jurisdiction in the matter.
Sources also said that the Centre is likely to inform the apex court on Tuesday that trial of the case can now be held in an NIA court and that no separate special court needed.
The marines, Massimiliano Latore and Salvatore Girone, were arrested in connection with the murder of two Kerala fishermen in February 2012. The two marines, who were on pirate-watch, have claimed they shot at the fishermen, confusing them with pirates.
Recommended For You
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Beauty and The Beast: Emma Watson Brings New Charisma in the Classic Song
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Comedian Bharti Singh All Set to Tie the Knot by the End of 2017
- Ross Taylor Achieves Milestone ODI Century