Jagan's YSR Congress Party to vote for Pranab
The YSR Congress Party has also decided to back UPA's M Hamid Ansari for the post of vice president.
Hyderabad: The YSR Congress Party on Wednesday decided to support United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee in the presidential elections.
The party also decided to back UPA's M Hamid Ansari for the post of vice president.
YSR Congress Party MP Mekapati Rajamohan Reddy announced the party's decision after a meeting chaired by party's honorary president Y S Vijayalakshmi.
"Our decision is above politics. We hope that Mr Pranab Mukherjee would do justice to the post of the constitutional head," he told reporters.
He said Mukherjee had approached Vijayalakshmi, seeking the party's support. Replying to a question, he clarified that the party's decision has nothing to do with the ongoing disproportionate assets case against party president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
Jaganmohan Reddy, MP from Kadapa who is currently lodged in Chanchalguda Central Jail, was on Tuesday permitted by a special court to cast his vote in Thursday's presidential election.
The party has two MPs while Congress MP Sabbam Hari is also its loyalist. The party has 17 members in the Andhra Pradesh state assembly.
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Cauvery Water Row: Centre Fails to Broker Deal Between Karnataka, TN
- Force 2 Trailer: John Abraham, Sonakshi Sinha Take on the World to Save India
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- US Now has Very Little Influence on Pakistanâs Nuclear Policy: Hoodbhoy
- Adnan Sami Responds To Haters After He Was Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 1st ODI, Sharjah