Jagan's YSR Congress Party to vote for Pranab
The YSR Congress Party has also decided to back UPA's M Hamid Ansari for the post of vice president.
Hyderabad: The YSR Congress Party on Wednesday decided to support United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee in the presidential elections.
The party also decided to back UPA's M Hamid Ansari for the post of vice president.
YSR Congress Party MP Mekapati Rajamohan Reddy announced the party's decision after a meeting chaired by party's honorary president Y S Vijayalakshmi.
"Our decision is above politics. We hope that Mr Pranab Mukherjee would do justice to the post of the constitutional head," he told reporters.
He said Mukherjee had approached Vijayalakshmi, seeking the party's support. Replying to a question, he clarified that the party's decision has nothing to do with the ongoing disproportionate assets case against party president Y S Jaganmohan Reddy.
Jaganmohan Reddy, MP from Kadapa who is currently lodged in Chanchalguda Central Jail, was on Tuesday permitted by a special court to cast his vote in Thursday's presidential election.
The party has two MPs while Congress MP Sabbam Hari is also its loyalist. The party has 17 members in the Andhra Pradesh state assembly.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: MS Dhoni Scores 43 But Jharkhand Loses to Karnataka
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines