Jail assault: Koda files complaint, goes on fast
He went on fast demanding judicial inquiry into Monday's incident and better food for prisoners.
Ranchi: Jailed former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda on Tuesday went on a fast demanding better food for prisoners and filed a police complaint into the assault on him in the high-security central jail in Ranchi.
On Monday night, his MLA wife Gita handed over the complaint to the Sadar police station charging the authorities of Birsa Munda Central Jail with the assault during the day, a police official said.
Koda, who was admitted to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences on Monday where an X-ray ascertained fracture in his right hand, would remain under observation for a few days, its director Tuli Mahto said.
He also went on fast demanding judicial inquiry into Monday's incident and better food for prisoners.
When Assembly Speaker CP Singh went to inquire his health, the former chief minister told him in the presence of the media, "I have not eaten since yesterday.
"I will end my fast after authorities accept my demand for a judicial inquiry into yesterday's incident and assure better food for general prisoners."
He claimed about 30 prisoners, including former Cabinet colleagues Enos Ekka and Harinaryan Rai were also continuing a dharna inside the jail. Showing Singh a thick scar across his chest, he claimed he was beaten up with batons by jail guards.
"Being the Speaker, I bring to your notice the poor quality of rice and watery dal served to prisoners of the general ward," he said.
The district administration and jail officials have denied the allegations.
Asked whether prisoners were still on fast as claimed by Koda, an official said Jail Superintendent Dilip Pradhan had instructed them not to speak to the media. Pradhan's mobile was inaccessible.
- Schizophrenia Can't be Ground for Halting Death Penalty, Says Pakistan SC Citing Indian Judgment
- 2nd Test: Fit-Again Younis Khan Leads Pakistan's Charge Against WI
- BSF Says 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist Killed in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border
- Salahuddin Seeks Help From Pak Military Pak Over Kashmir
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18