Jangipur by-poll: Pranab's son Abhijit wins
There were jitters in the Congress camp early in the morning after, at the end of vote-counting in the first round, Abhijit trailed behind CPM candidate Mozaffar Hossain.
New Delhi: Congress candidate and son of President Pranab Mukherjee,
Abhijit won the Jangipur Lok Sabha by-poll by a slender margin of 2,536 votes on Saturday. Abhijit was leading by a margin of 6541 votes at end of the counting of votes in the ninth round, reports earlier in the day said.
There were jitters in the Congress camp early in the morning after, at the end of vote-counting in the first round, Abhijit trailed behind CPM candidate Mozaffar Hossain. However, Abhijit had established his lead in the second round, leading by 2371 votes.
Abhijit decided to contest the by-poll after Pranab vacated the seat in July this year to contest in the Presidential election. Sixty per cent polling was recorded in the by-election. This was, however, far less as compared to 84.71 per cent voting registered for the same seat in the 2009 election.
(With additional information from PTI)
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: MS Dhoni Shows Why He is Still the Best in Business
- Nokia 3310 Selling for Rs 3,899 Online, Shipping Starts Soon
- 'Uthappa Needed Convincing Before Changing his Batting Stance'
- Honor 8 Pro First Look: The 6GB RAM Competitor to OnePlus 3t
- Are You the Biggest Baahubali Fan Ever? Here's Your Chance to Prove It