TN: AIADMK protest against diesel, train fare hike
The protest will be held on January 24 outside central government offices and will be led by the AIADMK's labour wing.
Chennai: Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced a statewide protest against the hikes in diesel prices and the train fares.
The protest would be held on January 24 outside central government offices. The protests would be led by the AIADMK's labour wing.
Stepping up her attack on the UPA Government, Jayalalithaa announced the decision to hit the
streets citing the delay in notifying the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal's final award and denial of additional power to the state reeling under acute shortage and allocation of funds.
The protests will also be against the Centre's
measures such as repeated increase in prices of petroleum products and railway fare which badly hit the poor people, she said in a statement.
Jayalalithaa alleged "the Congress-led UPA Government was bent upon stifling the rights of states dealing a blow to the Federal character enshrined in the Constitution and rejecting the just demands of non-congress ruled states.
She accused the Centre of maintaining silence on the issue of notifying the Cauvery tribunal's final award because of political reasons. The DMK, a key ally of UPA, remained a mute spectator for 'selfish' motives. Jayalalithaa, who spares no opportunity to target the UPA at the Centre, asked party cadres to register their protest against the "dictatorial alliance which is led by the Congress and includes DMK."
With additional inputs from PTI
- Samsung Execs Meet DGCA Officials Over Galaxy Note 2 IndiGo Fire Incident
- I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- The First Hillary Clinton-Donald Trump Presidential Debate
- Samsung Galaxy On8 with Android M, 3GB RAM Launched at Rs 15,900
- Lenovo Sacks "Hundreds" of Employees at Motorola: Report
- Top 5: 4G Smartphones Under Rs 10,000; Is Xiaomi Still The King?
- Watch: MNS Asks Pakistani Artistes To Leave In 48 Hours or Face Consequences
- Watch: Talking Point With Zakka Jacob