Jaya's comments are 'unwarranted': Karunanidhi
Karuna said Jaya's comments were "unwarranted" and "aimed at diverting the attention of the people."
Chennai: Hitting out at Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for slamming his party's efforts on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday said her comments were "unwarranted" and "aimed at diverting the attention of the people."
Jayalalithaa had not criticised Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajpaksa and the Lankan government but "instead have criticised me and DMK on the issue," Karunanidhi said.
The criticism was "totally unwarranted and sheer waste of time of the Assembly aimed at diverting the attention of the people", he said.
Listing out steps that his party had taken on the issue since 1956, the 88-year-old DMK patriarch wondered "who all can talk about what all issues" these days.
Refuting charges that DMK had not taken up the Sri Lankan Tamils issue with the Centre, he referred to the resolution his government had tabled in the Assembly in 2008.
Karunanidhi remarked that Jayalalithaa, who had said the Lankan Army was not deliberately killing the Tamils there and it was common for innocent people getting killed in a war, was now behaving as if she is concerned about the Sri Lankan Tamils.
"But the real Tamils will not fall for that," he said, adding, "it is her action that is a drama and not ours."
While speaking on a resolution in the state Assembly seeking imposition of economic sanctions on Sri Lanka, Jayalalithaa had slammed Karunanidhi, saying it was his party's "selfish nature and helplessness," which did not yield any tangible benefits for the suffering Tamils.
- Syrian, Russian Air Strikes Kill 25 Civilians in Syria, Says Human Rights Group
- UN Aid Convoy in Syria Hit by Airstrike; UN Outraged
- UN Aid Chief Warns of 'Unparalleled' Catastrophe in Aleppo
- Haunting Image Of Syrian Boy Rescued From Rubble Show True Horrors Of Aleppo
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets