JD(U) retains Kalyanpur Assembly seat
JD(U)'s Manju Kumari defeated Lok Janshakti Party's Rekha Paswan by over 17,000 votes.
Patna: Bihar's ruling Janata Dal(United) on Thursday retained the Kalyanpur assembly seat, with its candidate Manju Kumari defeating Lok Janshakti Party's Rekha Paswan by over 17,000 votes, an election official said.
The JD(U)'s victory is seen as a setback to LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan and his ally Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad, who had repeatedly claimed that people would reject Chief Minister Nitish Kumar's JD(U) in Kalyanpur by-poll.
The LJP was fully supported by the RJD in the by-poll. The death of sitting JD-U legislator Ramsevak Hazari necessitated the by-poll in the assembly constituency of Samastipur, home of late socialist leader Karpoori Thakur. Over half a dozen candidates were in the fray for the by-election held on February 24.
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Arjun Kapoor, Shraddha Kapoor Bring 'Bollywood Dance Raita' to New York
- Ganesh Chaturthi 2016: Anil Kapoor to Shraddha Kapoor; Stars Bring Ganpati Home
- Rock On 2 Trailer: Farhan, Shraddha, Arjun All Set to Bring Back Magik
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18