DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
JD(U) retains Kalyanpur Assembly seat
JD(U)'s Manju Kumari defeated Lok Janshakti Party's Rekha Paswan by over 17,000 votes.
Patna: Bihar's ruling Janata Dal(United) on Thursday retained the Kalyanpur assembly seat, with its candidate Manju Kumari defeating Lok Janshakti Party's Rekha Paswan by over 17,000 votes, an election official said.
The JD(U)'s victory is seen as a setback to LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan and his ally Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad, who had repeatedly claimed that people would reject Chief Minister Nitish Kumar's JD(U) in Kalyanpur by-poll.
The LJP was fully supported by the RJD in the by-poll. The death of sitting JD-U legislator Ramsevak Hazari necessitated the by-poll in the assembly constituency of Samastipur, home of late socialist leader Karpoori Thakur. Over half a dozen candidates were in the fray for the by-election held on February 24.
Recommended For You
- War Machine Review: Brad Pitt Is Disappointing In This Satire Gone Wrong
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- 'Missing' Chennai-based Model Gaanam Nair Returns Home
- List of Top Five Bikes to Buy in Less Than Rs 1 Lakh: The One That's Meant For You
- Jab We Met, Chak De! India and Other Films That Turn 10 in 2017