Judicial probe into chitfund scam a ploy to buy time: BJP
Singhdeo alleged many ministers received huge kick-backs from scamsters who had duped the poor and common people of the state of crores of rupees.
Bhubaneswar: BJP on Tuesday slammed the ruling BJD in Odisha, saying the judicial probe ordered by it into the chitfund scam was a ploy to buy time even as the party activists held statewide demonstrations and burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and other ministers. By ignoring the demand for a CBI probe into the scam and ordering a judicial inquiry, BJD is aiming only at delaying the process, state BJP president KV Singhdeo said at meetings in Mayurbhanj district organised by the party as part of its statewide 'Sankal Yatra' against the BJD rule.
Singhdeo alleged several BJP ministers and legislators were beneficiaries in the multi-crore scam and the state government is trying to cover up the matter. On the signature campaign launched by BJD demanding special category state status to Odisha, Singhdeo said the ruling party was enacting a drama in a bid to divert people's attention from scams, including the chitfund case.
Similar demonstrations and meetings were held in different places of the state, including Bhubaneswar, where BJP activists burnt effigies of Patnaik and other ministers. Addressed public meetings at Karanjia, Rairangpur and Udala in Mayurbhanj district, Singhdeo described the BJD government as "scam ridden".
He alleged many ministers received huge kick-backs from scamsters who had duped the poor and common people of the state of crores of rupees.
As the opposition parties intensified their attack on BJD government over chitfund scam, as many as eight persons including builders, businessmen and media organisation owners were interrogated by police in connection with chitfund scam involving Artha Tatwa group. While about 11 other people connected with AT group are slated to be grilled tomorrow, a sprawling guest house of another ponzi company, Seashore, on the outskirt of the state capital was sealed by Crime Branch of the Odisha Police, senior police officials said.
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Watch: Masand's Verdict on MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput