Maharashtra: Face of Vidarbha Kalavati files nomination
Kalavati shot to fame after Rahul's speech during last year's trust vote.
Nagpur: Kalavati Bandurkar, a farmer's widow from Yavatmal in Maharashtra who shot to fame after Congress leader Rahul Gandhi's speech during last year's trust vote, will fight Maharashtra Assembly elections from Wani in Yawatmal district.
Kalavati, who filed her nomination on Friday, has been named by the Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS) as its candidate for the polls.
Kalavati was rushed to a hospital early on Friday following hypertension, according to her aide.
"She had gone to meet her daughter in a nearby village, but complained of giddiness, vomiting and other problems. A medico, who examined her, said she was suffering from hypertension and asked her to be admitted to a hospital," an office-bearer of VJAS Vinod Tiwari said.
She was rushed to the Yavatmal district hospital after midnight. Though, her condition has been described as "serious" by the doctors, she is stable and under observation, he said.
"We have decided that this time, a Vidarbha farmer's widow must be elected to the Assembly. It will be our way of tribute to the memory of over 7,000 debt-ridden farmers who committed suicide in the region. In September alone, 10 farmers killed themselves in Yavatmal district where over 1,600 people have died so far," VJAS President Kishore Tiwari said.
He reiterated that VJAS will make a serious attempt to "empower" the widows and orphans of Vidarbha. He added that if a widow is elected from there then she will be their face in the Assembly.
The Vidarbha region includes Yavatmal, Nagpur, Akola, Gondia, Gadchiroli, Wardha, Amravati, Buldana, Washim, Bhandara and Chandrapur districts.
The Wani seat shall also be contested by the Congress and Shiv Sena candidates.
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Cycle to Motorcycle? How Ram Gopal Yadav's Trip to EC Created a Stir
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal