Karnataka Deputy CM faces Lokayukta raids
Lokayukta sleuths seized Rs 10.9 lakh in cash, 1.9 kg of gold and 37 kg of silver during the searches.
Bangalore/Shimoga: In a huge embarrassment to the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Lokayukta sleuths seized Rs 10.9 lakh in cash, 1.9 kg of gold and 37 kg of silver during searches at the residences of Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister K S Eshwarappa and educational and business establishments allegedly belonging to him on Monday.
In all, searches were conducted at eight places, including his Bangalore and Shimoga residence, a cement dealership unit, two educational institutions and the house of his close aid N Somasekhar in Shimoga.
A Shimoga court on December 15 ordered an investigation into a complaint filed by advocate B Vinod, who alleged that Eshwarappa, also state BJP chief who holds the Revenue and Rural Development and Panchayat Raj portfolios in the Jagadish Shettar government, his son Kanthesh KE and daughter-in-law Shalini had amassed wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income.
Lokayukta police had subsequently registered a case and taken up investigation. "Searches are continuing", Lokayukta sources said.
In his reaction, Eshwarappa said he is "not scared" by the searches. "Truth will prevail after investigations. It's all political vendetta. I will fight it out in the court".
Meanwhile, JD(S) Shimoga district unit held a protest in the city and demanded action against Eshwarappa. The party urged him to resign forthwith on moral grounds and allow free and fair investigation.
After the case was filed, he had last week dismissed suggestions for his resignation from the Cabinet, noting that the probe was ordered based on a private complaint and it was not fair on the part of opposition parties to demand his scalp.
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Govt Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Chairs All-Party Meet, Gowda Sits on Dharna
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time