DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Karuna in favour of including PM under Lokpal
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has disfavoured bringing the PM under the Lokpal bill.
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said he was in favour of including the Prime Minister under the purview of the Lokpal bill as it would help the office prove it was not guilty of anything.
In a statement, he said the inclusion would clearly tell the world that the Prime Minister was not afraid. "It will help to prove that we are clean," he said.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh himself had stated that he was not against including the office under the Lokpal bill," Karunanidhi said.
The DMK patriarch pointed out that during his tenure as Chief Minister in the early seventies, he had brought forward an anti-corruption legislation bringing the Chief Minister under the Act.
Though he had highlighted this fact in his recent interaction with the media, reports published stated that he was following a line against the UPA's position on the Lokpal bill, he said.
Karunanidhi's political rival and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has disfavoured bringing the PM under the Lokpal bill.
Recommended For You
- Kohli Feels India Well-Equipped to Defend Champions Trophy Crown
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Champions Trophy: No Room for Mistakes, Says Kane Williamson
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Things To Know Before Watching The Fifth Instalment
- It's Official: OnePlus 5 to Be India's First Phone With Qualcomm Snapdragon 835