Karuna urges Centre to give effect to Cauvery tribunal orders
J Jayalalithaa had also written to the Prime Minister demanding that the Water Resources Ministry set up the Cauvery Management Board and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee.
Chennai: With voting for Assembly Elections in Karnataka over, DMK chief M Karunanidhi urged the Centre to set up Cauvery Management Board and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee to give effect to the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal orders.
Karunanidhi sought to remind the Centre on the statement by Union Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat that establishment of regulatory mechanism to govern the water sharing among the riparian states of the Cauvery basin has been "put on hold" due to the Assembly Elections in Karnataka and wanted the Union government to act immediately.
"On behalf of my party, I demand the Centre to ensure people of Tamil Nadu get Cauvery water," Karunanidhi wrote to his cadres in his party mouthpiece 'Murasoli'.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa had also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding that the Water Resources Ministry set up the Cauvery Management Board and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee.
The Election Commission recently has opined that such regulatory bodies cannot be set up now in view of the Karnataka facing elections. The final award of the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal was notified in February after a gap of six years.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology