Arvind Kejriwal launches 'bijli-paani satyagraha'
Kejriwal restored the power connection of a man who claimed he got a bill for Rs 15,000 and it got disconnected as he couldn't pay it.
New Delhi: Activist Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday launched a 'bijli-paani satyagraha' in New Delhi to protest against 'inflated' power and water bills and hike in tariffs by restoring electricity connection to the household of a labourer which was disconnected for non-payment of bills. The protest was launched at Tigri Colony on Saturday morning when Kejriwal and his supporters restored the power connection of the labourer, who claimed that he got a bill for Rs 15,000 last month and connection disconnected as he could not pay it.
"Bijli Paani satyagraha has started in Delhi. Stop paying electricity and water bills till Delhi government withdraws tariff hikes. Let's unite and fight corruption. If they
disconnect power, people will reach in large numbers to reconnect," Kejriwal said.
He said Delhi will show the way in this "Civil Disobedience Movement. "I will personally come and reconnect your electricty connection if they disconnect. I will take the punishment. We are ready to go to jail for this. Let's not accept corruption and injustice," he said. He claimed that MPs and former MPs owe huge amounts to power companies but their connections were not disconnected.
"Poor people are being terrorized," he said. He said the India Against Corruption will hold a dharna tomorrow and burn electricity bills in 114 municipal wards. "The Delhi government must roll back the hike before November three or we will protest again on November 4 and gherao Sheila Dikshit's house. We challenge them to try to cut the electricity of anyone in Delhi," Kejriwal said.
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Rahul Gandhi Flays RSS, Accuses it of Trying to 'Divide India'
- Defamation Case: Rahul Gandhi Makes his Appearance in Assam Court
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Adnan Sami Responds To Haters After He Was Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Sharif Chairs Cabinet Meet Day After Indian Strike on Terror Camps Across LoC