Kejriwal on day 2 of his fast against power bills
Kejriwal is fasting at the house of a volunteer in north-east Delhi, urging Delhiites not to pay the "illegal" bills.
New Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal, the national convenor of the Aam Aadmi Party, is on the second day of his indefinite fast, to protest against the "inflated" electricity and water bills in New Delhi. He launched his hunger strike, or what he calls a "civil disobedience movement', from the house of a volunteer in north-east Delhi, urging Delhiites not to pay the "illegal" bills.
After visiting Raj Ghat and Shaheed Park in New Delhi on Saturday, Kejriwal reached the home of one Santosh in Sundar Nagri where he began his fast. He had chosen this house as Santosh had allegedly received inflated bills and had to take loans to pay it.
Kejriwal asked Delhi residents not to pay "illegal" power and water bills, promising that any legal action against them would be revoked once his party comes to power in the city. "From today, we are beginning this fast. From today, I am not going to pay my water and power bills. These are illegal and fake bills. The Delhi government is hand in glove with discoms," he said.
Kejriwal earlier had announced that his family residing in Uttar Pradesh will not pay the bills in solidarity with the protest. "The aim of my fast is to rally more and more people against the illegal bills. If I fast, then people will get encouraged. This time we are not asking anything from the government, this time I appeal to Delhiites not to pay bills," he said.
Kejriwal said if more and more people join the "civil disobedience movement", government and the discoms won't take against against them. AAP National spokesperson Manish Sisodia said there are protests in 264 other places in the capital.
(With Additional Inputs From PTI)
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- BSF Says 7 Pakistani Rangers, Terrorist Killed Along Jammu Border, Pak Denies
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18