Kerala Industries Minister EP Jayarajan Steps Down Over Nepotism Charges
A TV grab of former Kerala minister EP Jayarajan
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala's Industries Minister EP Jayarajan on Friday resigned following controversies over the appointment of his relatives as head of key public sector units.
The resignation comes after the state government asked Chief Secretary S M Vijayanand to look into the controversial appointments to key PSUs made recently, including those of Jayarajan’s relatives PK Sudheer and Deepthi Nishad.
It is also a day after the state cabinet decided to bring a legislation to check nepotism in appointments to key positions in public sector units.
The main controversy was over the appointment of Sudheer - son of CPM central committee member and Kannur MP P K Sreemathy and a relative of Industries minister E P Jayarajan - as the managing director of Kerala State Industries Enterprise Ltd (KSIE). The appointment was scrapped after widespread criticism.
Earlier this week, Deepthi Nishad, who is the daughter-in-law of Jayarajan’s brother too resigned from the post of general manager of Kerala Clays and Ceramics Ltd following a controversy over her appointment.
Jayarajan is a powerful Marxist leader from the Kannur belt, but none at the top, including Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan had supported these appointments.
Recommended For You
- Fallout of Indo-Pak Tension?Wasim Akram to Miss IPL 2017 Due to 'Professional Commitments'
- Why Pay More?OnePlus 3T vs OnePlus 3: What's New And All You Need to Know About It
- Source Advisorkhoj#FutureIsCashless, But Your Money Should Grow Too!
- Movie ReviewBefikre Review: A Glossy, Predictable Indian Love Story
- MR CONSISTENTVirat Kohli Retains Second Spot In ICC ODI Rankings