Khurshid controversy: EOW starts collecting documents
When asked about the details, the Director General of the Economic Offences Wing of the UP Police said it was neither a raid nor a search.
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh Police's Economic Offences Wing on Monday began its probe into the alleged financial irregularities in a trust run by Union Minister Salman Khurshid. It started collecting documents at various levels, "including state, divisional and district headquarters as a part of the investigation", Director General EOW, Subrat Tripathi told PTI.
When asked about the details, Tripathi said it was neither a raid nor a search. "How can we call it a raid or search when documents are being provided willingly," the DG said. The Uttar Pradesh government had directed the Economic Offences Wing to probe into charges of misappropriation of funds by Zakir Hussain Trust run by Khurshid and his wife Louise.
Four teams, three under the Kanpur sector and one under the Meerut sector, were constituted for probe in 17 districts where irregularities are suspected. The inquiry is crossing the preliminary stage as order for the probe was issued on July 3, Tripathi had said on Sunday.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, meanwhile, refused to comment on the inquiry on Monday. "It will not be appropriate to comment on the matter as inquiry is already underway. It was started in previous (BSP) regime. How can how comment without outcome of the inquiry?" Yadav told reporters in reply to a question here.
"Bina inquiry khatam hue ye bhi kehna thek nahi hai ki inquiry nispaksh nahi ho rahi hai (It would not be right to say that inquiry would not be fair, till it is completed)," he said. In Bulandshahr, former UP Chief Development officer JB Singh, whose signature on affidavits related to the NGO was allegedly forged, told reporters, "Investigation is going on in this matter. It is not appropriate for me to say anything. The investigation is ongoing. I won't say anything."
(With additional information from PTI)
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18