Kolkata cannot be refurbished in a day: Mamata
Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said her plans to "refurbish" Kolkata and make it like London would take time as the metropolis was not a planned city like Delhi.
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said her plans to "refurbish" Kolkata and make it like London would take time as the metropolis was not a planned city like Delhi. "Kolkata cannot be refurbished in a day. There are lots of problems. There will be a hue and cry if we try to acquire an inch of land for road expansion," Banerjee said.
"Whenever plans and programmes are taken up for something like road expansion, waters are muddied," she said while speaking at a programme of the Kolkata police on the occasion of the forthcoming Durga Puja festival. "Kolkata was not built as a planned city. When New Delhi was built, there was no media like today," she said.
Apparently blaming the previous Left Front government's alleged forcible acquisition of land for difficulties in acquiring land now, Banerjee said "There was misuse of land acquisition." The chief minister released two volumes of Kolkata Police magazine 'Protector' and puja guide maps. The guide map featured a cover sketched by Banerjee.
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock For Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher