Kolkata college clashes: Congress leader arrested
Kolkata Police Sub-Inspector Tapas Choudhury was killed during violence between Congress and Trinamool supporters near a college in Garden Reach on February 12.
Kolkata: Congress local leader Sheikh Moktar, one of the accused in the sub inspector killing case in violence in Garden Reach area in south-west part of city on February 12, was arrested on Tuesday evening, a senior CID official said.
"We have arrested Sheikh Moktar from Howrah station area this evening. He was apprehended with one of his associates. He will be brought to the CID headquaters and interrogated," IG CID Vineet Goyal said. Kolkata Police Sub-Inspector Tapas Choudhury was killed during violence between Congress and Trinamool supporters near a college in Garden Reach on February 12.
The detective department of the Kolkata Police had begun an investigation and arrested 12 people along with Sheikh Subhaan who had allegedly fired at the Sub-Inspector. After West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan's strong criticism of the violence and attack by political parties, the case was handed over to the CID of state police, in an unprecedented move.
Although the CID managed to arrest some of the accused named in the FIR, Congress leader Moktar and the Trinamool Congress councilor Mohammed Iqbal had been absconding for days.
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- India to Reclaim Top Spot If They Win Kolkata Test Against New Zealand
- Cheteshwar Pujara's Kanpur Transformation Augurs Well for Team India
- Virat Kohli Offers Condolences to Families of Uri Attack Victims
- LeT Joins Hands With ISIS To Infiltrate Subcontinent
- I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- The First Hillary Clinton-Donald Trump Presidential Debate
- India, China Discuss Security and Cooperation to Combat Terror