K'taka: I-T officials raid premises of astrologer, seize Rs 1.7 crore
I-T officials said the astrologer was regularly visited and consulted by politicians of the state and hence his premises were searched.
Bangalore: Officials of Income Tax department have seized Rs 1.7 crore cash from two premises of a city-based astrologer popular with politicians in Karnataka.
Sources in the I-T department said the tax department had conducted the raids on Saturday after it received an input about the presence of Rs 40 lakh cash at the astrologer's two premises in Bangalore's RT Nagar and Ashiyana extension.
"No electoral malpractice was however found in the keeping of the cash. The cash would be released after due legal procedures are completed under the provisions of the I-T Act," a senior official said.
The astrologer was regularly visited and consulted by politicians of the state and hence his premises were searched, the official added.
On the Election Commission's instructions, I-T officials have been keeping a watch on illegal cash and other inducements meant to lure voters during the Karnataka Assembly elections.
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Salman Khan's Bodyguard Shera Faces Assault Charges in Mumbai
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis