Cong to take call on Kurien before Budget Session: Chacko
PJ Kurien was acquitted in the 1996 Suryanelli rape case, but the gangrape victim has named him as one of the men who assaulted her in 1996.
New Delhi: Amidst growing calls for the removal of Deputy Chariman of Rajya Sabha PJ Kurien, Congress spokesperson and Kurien's colleague from Kerala, PC Chacko has said the party will take a decision on his removal before the Budget Session.
Meanwhile, there are indications that the infighting in Congress is adding to Kurien's troubles. Kurien is close to Defence Minister AK Antony and a known detractor of Chacko. Antony, meanwhile, has made an appeal to his party colleagues in the party to tone down the infighting.
Kurien was acquitted in the 1996 Suryanelli rape case, but the gangrape victim has named him as one of the men who assaulted her in 1996. The Suryanelli rape survivor sent a letter to the Supreme Court last week, asking for a review of the apex court's order quashing all charges against Kurien.
Kurien has, however, claimed that he was a victim of a political conspiracy. Denying allegations against him, Kurien has been refusing to step down. In 1996, in Suryanelli, bordering the tea gardens of Munnar, a teenaged girl was raped by over 42 men including a bus conductor and many others. Faced with ostracisation, the victim's family had to leave the village.
- Celebrities Send Diwali Greetings To Jawans Following PM Modi's #Sandesh2Soldiers Campaign
- Case Registered Against Man for Posting Objectionable Photo of PM Modi
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- My Character in Rock On 2 Goes Through an Internal Conflict: Farhan Akhtar