Chidambaram hints at vote against Sri Lanka at UN meet
This comes barely a day after DMK chief M Karunanidhi warned of pulling out his ministers from the Cabinet over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram has hinted at a possible vote against Sri Lanka at a United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) later in March. This comes barely a day after DMK chief M Karunanidhi warned of pulling out his ministers from the Cabinet over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Speaking at a rally in his constituency Sivaganga, Chidambaram said that if Sri Lanka initiates an independent international probe, India would support it. But the Sri Lankan government has so far denied any war crimes and is against ordering a probe.
In 2012, India had supported a similar resolution following pressure from political parties in Tamil Nadu. This time though, the Centre maintains it will decide its position based on the wording of the resolution.
DMK had on Friday threatened to pull out its ministers from the Union Cabinet if its demand to bring in amendments to the US-backed resolution at UNHRC in Geneva was not conceded.
The DMK has been keeping up the pressure on Delhi to vote in favour of the resolution. Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation (TESO), revived by Karunanidhi in 2012, had launched a series of protests, including observing a dawn-to-dusk strike on March 12 to put pressure on the Centre on this issue. The chorus for action against Sri Lanka grew stronger after pictures of slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's son's cold blooded killing appeared in the media.
With Additional Inputs From PTI
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief
- Bollywood Friday: Will Sushant Singh Rajput's MS Dhoni Live Up To The Expectations?
- MS Dhoni Biopic May be the Biggest Risk of Sushant Singh Rajput's Career
- Everybody Deserves to Know Dhoni's Inspiring Story: Bhumika Chawla
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Arjun Kapoor, Shraddha Kapoor Bring 'Bollywood Dance Raita' to New York
- Ganesh Chaturthi 2016: Anil Kapoor to Shraddha Kapoor; Stars Bring Ganpati Home
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18