DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
LK Advani favours compulsory voting
BJP leader LK Advani said voting should be a fundamental responsibility of the citizens.
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader LK Advani on Thursday favoured compulsory voting, saying people should be encouraged to fulfil their responsibility to democracy.
Speaking at a flag hoisting function at his residence on Republic Day, Advani said voting percentage should increase and go near cent percent.
"If possible, it should be near the cent per cent mark," he said.
Advani said he did not find compulsory or mandatory voting as something impossible in India.
"People have to be encouraged that they fulfil their responsibility towards democracy," he said.
He said voting should be a fundamental responsibility of the citizens.
Answering queries, Advani said he had been in favour of compulsory voting and some BJP ruled states had even passed laws but these had not received assent of governors.
Recommended For You
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Is 'Ambedkar Touch' in Kaala Poster a Political Outreach by Rajinikanth?
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- GST Impact – Mercedes Announces Price Reduction by Upto 9%
- Champions Trophy 2017: MS Dhoni, Kohli, Rahane Sweat it Out in Nets