Local TV channels have ganged up with opposition: Mamata
Mamata's comments came on a day when a cross section of intellectuals and people hit the streets to protest against the spurt in crimes against women in West Bengal.
Asansol: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee alleged on Friday that some local news channels had ganged up with the opposition to make a hue and cry over rape and violence in the state and reiterated that there was a conspiracy to kill her. Naming a local media house running a tv news channel and two others critical of her government, Banerjee told a panchayat election rally in Asansol, "They are systematically using the Congress, CPI(M) and BJP for propaganda against the government doing good work, for terror, murder and rape."
When her naming the channels caused commotion at the rally, the chief minister, warned, "Don't lay a finger on them. We will tackle them legally." Her comments came on a day when a cross section of intellectuals and people hit the streets to protest against the spurt in crimes against women in the state. Dwelling again on the allegation that a conspiracy was afoot to eliminate her, she said "There is a conspiracy to kill me and party general secretary Mukul Roy. CPI(M), Congress, BJP and Maoists have joined hands."
"CPI(M) should remember that if one Mamata Banerjee is killed lakhs of Mamata Banerjees would be born. I am not cowed by threats. I am not afraid of death, but if I die I will die like a hero. My life is a struggle for justice for 35 years," she said. Admitting that 'one or two' incidents had taken place which were 'definitely bad', the chief minister said "It has to be seen whether the government has taken steps or not. Perpetrators have been arrested within 24 hours. What else do you want? The TMC did not commit rape."
- Gold Takes Gains Forward, Up Rs 232 on Global Cues
- Gold Hits Over 3-Month Low On Global Cues, Muted Demand
- Gold prices touch five-year low, people on shopping spree
- Gold price crashes below Rs 25,000 per 10 grams in futures trade
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- PM Urges Citizens to Send Their Messages to Jawans This Diwali
- RBI Staff's Rangoli Tribute To Raghuram Rajan Is Perfect
- When she was born, there was no joy and celebration: Kangana Ranaut's father recalls her birth