Lok Sabha adjourns after tributes to sitting MP
The House also mourned the loss of lives in a major fire that broke out in a market in Kolkata on Wednesday.
New Delhi: Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day on Friday after condoling the death of sitting member Mukesh Gadhvi. Gadhvi, a first term Congress member from Banaskantha in Gujarat, breathed his last in Ahmedabad this morning. He was 50.
He was a member of Gujarat Assembly for three terms from 1998-2009.
"An active social and political worker, he promoted the cause of education, particularly of the girl child," Speaker Meira Kumar said in her obituary reference as soon as the Lok Sabha met for the day.
The House also mourned the loss of lives in a major fire that broke out in a market in Kolkata on Wednesday. Members observed silence for a while as a mark of respect to the memory of the departed.
- Saamna Cartoonist Expresses Regret Over Cartoon That Triggered Protests
- Saamana Office Attacked Over Cartoon Mocking Maratha Protests
- Shoe Hurled at Rahul Gandhi in UP; He Blames BJP, RSS
- Watch: MNS Asks Pakistani Artistes To Leave In 48 Hours or Face Consequences
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti
- Talk and Terror Can't Go Together: MEA
- Don't Boycott SAARC Summit, Hold it Without Pakistan: Congress
- Bangladesh Says Decision to Boycott SAARC Summit its Own