Lokayukta issue exposed Modi's double speak: Guj Cong
Every details of money spent on Lokayukta litigation should be made public by Modi government, Shaktisinh Gohil said.
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Monday alleged that the review petition in the apex court on the Lokayukta issue has exposed the "double speak" and "dual face" of the Narendra Modi government. "The BJP and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi have been vociferously protesting against the Lokpal Bill and its modalities but when it comes to the appointment of Lokayukta Modi government has fully endorsed and applauded the very same modalities," former Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil said.
He alleged this, referring to the contents of the petition recently filed by the state government in the Supreme Court seeking review of its earlier order upholding the appointment of Justice (Retd) RA Mehta as the Lokayukta in
Gujarat. "Modi government in its review petition has contended and termed as 'proper and right' the modalities and process of Lokpal appointment," he said.
"While contending on the grounds of Lokayukta appointment, Modi government has submitted that the clause 4 structured by the Union Cabinet and Selection Committee for appointment of Lokayukta is totally fair, proper and reasonable," he claimed.
"Ironically, this is exactly what the BJP has been protesting at the national level with regards to Lokpal," he added. Asserting that the review petition has no strong grounds and was just a 'ploy' to stall the appointment of Lokayukta in the state Gohil alleged that the Chief Minister has squandered crores of rupees of the tax payers' money to 'stall' it.
"Every details of money spent on Lokayukta litigation should be made public by this government," he said. "... Or Chief Minister should pay all the expenses from his own pocket as this litigation has not been carried out for the welfare of the people but to cover up his corruption," he added.
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Killed 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps
- OnePlus Diwali Dash Sale Live: Win OnePlus 3 at Re 1
- 21 Maoists Killed in Encounter on Andhra Pradesh-Odisha Border
- Focus on Business, Market Leadership: Tata to Top Executives
- Cyrus Mistry Says 'No Basis' to Speculation on Litigation, Tata Hints New Leadership Soon
- Tata Group Stocks Fall on Mistry's Ouster; Tata Steel Down 3%
- Cyrus Mistry's Exit May Trigger Major Correction in Tata Stocks: Experts