Lowering age for consensual sex will lead to more rapes: Ramdev
Ramdev alleged that the Bill aimed to benefit a "particular religion" and "break the Hindu society".
Indore: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev on Thursday said the Centre's decision to reduce the age for consensual sex from 18 to 16 years would affect the social order and increase rape cases in the country.
Sex at 16 was not right for a person either physically or psychologically, Ramdev said while talking to reporters at Panchkuia near Indore. "If this decision (to lower age of consensual sex) is taken, rape cases will increase," he said.
The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013, which provides for stringent punishment for crimes against women, including rape, was on Thursday cleared by the Union Cabinet. It also lowers the age of consent for sex from 18 to 16 years.
Ramdev alleged that the Bill aimed to benefit a "particular religion" and "break the Hindu society". Instead of tackling issues such as corruption and inflation, the UPA government was busy deciding the age for consensual sex, he said.
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- 1st Test: Vijay, Pujara Put India in Command Against NZ on Day 3
- Mirzya New Trailer is All About Love, Passion and Music
- Japanese Encephalitis Declared as Notifiable Disease
- Ink Thrown at Union Minister JP Nadda in AIIMS Bhopal
- Avoid Blame Game, Coordinate to Fight Chikungunya: Centre to AAP