LS polls: AAP's Shazia Ilmi denies contesting against Sonia Gandhi
There were reports that AAP would field Ilmi against Congress President from Uttar Pradesh's Rae Bareilly seat.
New Delhi: AAP leader Shazia Ilmi on Tuesday sought to quell speculation that she would be pitted against Congress president Sonia Gandhi in the Lok Sabha polls, saying she "never agreed" to contest from Rae Bareli.
"I am not contesting from Rae Bareli. I never agreed to nor do I now, I've been denying this for the last two months," Ilmi wrote on social networking site twitter. There was buzz in the party that Ilmi will be fielded against Gandhi from Rae Bareli after another AAP leader Kumar Vishwas was fielded against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi from Amethi.
Sources said the party was keen on Ilmi taking on Gandhi, but then Ilmi was not interested to take on the Congress president. Ilmi has expressed her desire to contest either from Farrukhabad, a seat represented by Union Minister Salman
Khurshid, or any seat from Delhi.
A section of party leaders were also of an opinion that Ilmi, who undertakes fund raising campaigns, should be made to campaign instead of pitting her against Gandhi. Ilmi had also contested from RK Puram constituency in Delhi assembly elections, but lost to a BJP candidate by a slender margin.
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock for Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Govt Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Watch: Masand's Verdict on MS Dhoni: The Untold Story