Maha policeman assault: HC likely to hear plea seeking CBI probe
Sachin Suryavanshi was allegedly assaulted by a group of MLAs at the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly on March 19, 2013.
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court is likely to hear a plea on Monday seeking a CBI probe into the assault of sub inspector Sachin Suryavanshi. Suryavanshi was allegedly assaulted by a group of MLAs at the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly on March 19, 2013.
Manhile, the committee of legislators probing the attack on Suryavanshi on April 18 held two MLAs, Kshitij Thakur and Ram Kadam, guilty. The committee in its report has given the benefit of the doubt to the other three MLAs citing inconclusive CCTV evidence and has recommended that the Speaker revokes their suspension.
The report also recommends that the suspension period of Thakur and Kadam be reduced and it be revoked in the first week of the monsoon session. The report is also critical of API Suryavanshi for his 'behaviour'.
Thakur and Kadam were arrested in connection with the incident and later released on bail by a local court. Suryavanshi, attached to the Worli police station, was beaten black and blue by the MLAs outside the visitors gallery at the legislature complex on March 19, a day after he had stopped Thakur's vehicle on Bandra-Worli Sea Link for speeding and slapped a fine.
Though the legislator paid the fine, there was an altercation between the two when the MLA sought to know the sections of traffic rules under which he was booked. All five MLAs were suspended from Assembly for the rest of the year and barred from entering the Vidhan Bhavan premises in Mumbai and Nagpur (where winter session is held).
Besides Thakur and Kadam, the other MLAs allegedly involved in the attack were Jaykumar Rawal (BJP), Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena) and Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent).
With Additional Inputs From PTI
- Hillary Clinton Says She Will No Longer Respond to Donald Trump
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- Donald Trump Says Will Not Approve AT&T-Time Warner Deal If Elected President
- Donald Trump Vows to Sue Sexual Misconduct Accusers
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back