Mumbai: BMC unlikely to renew Mahalaxmi race course's lease
The BMC says it wants to open the vast land to the public instead of leasing it to a private and exclusive club.
Mumbai: The iconic race course at Mahalaxmi in Mumbai may soon by replaced by an international theme park. The Shiv Sena ruled Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) says it may not renew the 99-year lease to the Royal Western Indian Turf Club which runs the race course. The lease expires on May 31.
The BMC says it wants to open the vast land to the public instead of leasing it to a private and exclusive club. There are also speculations that the Shiv Sena plans to use the land to construct a memorial to Bal Thackeray. But so far Shiv Sena members have denied this.
BMC standing committee chief Rahul Shewale has said that the BMC has a Rs 1 crore budget to develop the land into an international theme park.
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- I'm a Gujarati at Heart, Says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- SP Meet Turns into Family Drama, Akhilesh & Shivpal Spar In Public
- Samajwadi Party's Old Guard May Need Akhilesh's 'Youth Appeal' in 2017 Polls