Mumbai: BMC unlikely to renew Mahalaxmi race course's lease
The BMC says it wants to open the vast land to the public instead of leasing it to a private and exclusive club.
Mumbai: The iconic race course at Mahalaxmi in Mumbai may soon by replaced by an international theme park. The Shiv Sena ruled Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) says it may not renew the 99-year lease to the Royal Western Indian Turf Club which runs the race course. The lease expires on May 31.
The BMC says it wants to open the vast land to the public instead of leasing it to a private and exclusive club. There are also speculations that the Shiv Sena plans to use the land to construct a memorial to Bal Thackeray. But so far Shiv Sena members have denied this.
BMC standing committee chief Rahul Shewale has said that the BMC has a Rs 1 crore budget to develop the land into an international theme park.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Trapped Trailer Featuring Rajkummar Rao Will Leave You Intrigued
- MS Dhoni Travels By Train After 13 Years
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch