Mumbai: BMC unlikely to renew Mahalaxmi race course's lease
The BMC says it wants to open the vast land to the public instead of leasing it to a private and exclusive club.
Mumbai: The iconic race course at Mahalaxmi in Mumbai may soon by replaced by an international theme park. The Shiv Sena ruled Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) says it may not renew the 99-year lease to the Royal Western Indian Turf Club which runs the race course. The lease expires on May 31.
The BMC says it wants to open the vast land to the public instead of leasing it to a private and exclusive club. There are also speculations that the Shiv Sena plans to use the land to construct a memorial to Bal Thackeray. But so far Shiv Sena members have denied this.
BMC standing committee chief Rahul Shewale has said that the BMC has a Rs 1 crore budget to develop the land into an international theme park.
- India Should Start Talks with Pakistan: Sitaram Yechury
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- India 'Hiding' Casualties in Surgical Strike, Says Pakistan Army
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Will Live Up to the Hype: Neeraj Pandey
- Fresh Picture of Lalu's Sons With Scribe-Murder Accused Surfaces
- Maruti Suzuki's 'MS Dhoni Inspired' Alto and Alto K10 Special Edition Unveiled
- Supreme Court Notice to Lalu's Son, Shahabuddin in Journalist Murder Case