GET Stock QuotesNews18 APP
News18 English
Powered by cricketnext logo
»
1-min read

Maharashtra Minister Accused of Rs 800 Crore 'Slum Rehabilitation Scam'

Both the Nationalist Congress Party and the Congress party stalled the proceedings of the Legislative Assembly session several times, demanding Mehta’s resignation. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has ordered a probe into the matter.

Vinaya Deshpande | CNN-News18

Updated:August 5, 2017, 10:29 PM IST
facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp
Maharashtra Minister Accused of Rs 800 Crore 'Slum Rehabilitation Scam'
Prakash Mehta is considered a prominent minister, representing the Gujarati community. This community has backed the BJP strongly through the elections. (Picture courtesy: PrakashMehta/twitter)
Mumbai: In a series of accusations, the Maharashtra Opposition has accused Housing Minister Prakash Mehta of corruption in a slum rehabilitation camp of MP Mill Compound in Tardeo and favouring a builder in Ghatkopar for land allotment.

According to a report in a newspaper last month, Mehta allowed transfer of land rights at MP Mills compound in Tardeo, despite administrative red flag, and despite being told that it does not fit into DC rules (Development Control rules). It was alleged that this favour would have generated additional building rights worth Rs 500 Crore for the developer.

Now, the opposition has levelled charges of favouring a builder in Ghatkopar for reallocation of land for an SRA project (Slum Redevelopment Authority). The opposition parties have pegged the scam at Rs 800 Crore. They have alleged that Mehta reallocated an MHADA plot in Pantnagar area of Ghatkopar to a developer whose allotment had been cancelled by the previous government. Mehta allegedly held a meeting of housing department officials this Januar, asking them to revive this project.

Both the Nationalist Congress Party and the Congress party stalled the proceedings of the Legislative Assembly session several times, demanding Mehta’s resignation. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has ordered a probe into the matter.

Meanwhile, Prakash Mehta said he was ready to face any inquiry, and that the charges against him are baseless.

Prakash Mehta is considered a prominent minister, representing the Gujarati community. This community has backed the BJP strongly through the elections.

"Why is the government shielding him? If Mopalwar can be removed, why not him?” asked Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil, the opposition leader.

But Prakash Mehta claimed that the opposition’s charges were baseless. “I will accept whatever decision seniors in the party take. I am willing to face any inquiry,” he told reporters.
Read full article
Next Story
facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp

Live TV

File is:/article-scroll-new.php