Maharashtra: Rahul visits drought-hit areas
The affected farmers were expecting that Rahul Gandhi would instruct Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to start relief operations.
Aurangabad: Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi visited Maharashtra's drought affected villages on Tuesday. The affected farmers were expecting that Rahul Gandhi would try to solve their problems and would instruct Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to start relief operations in the drought-affected areas. But Rahul failed to do so leaving the farmers disappointed.
Rahul visited Phulambri tehsil of Aurangabad which is one of the worst drought affected regions of the state on Tuesday. The security was very high but Rahul accompanied by Chavan interacted with the affected farmers after breaking the security cordon. Chavan had to face several uncomfortable questions by the affected people.
One of the farmers told Rahul the village used to get water from Vakud pond which has dried up and so 56 tankers are now providing drinking water to the affected area
However, Rahul failed to give any assurances to the farmers. As the Congress is in power in Maharashtra so its leaders cannot blame that other parties for poor relief measures. Speaking to the farmers Chavan announced a grant of Rs 16 crore for drinking water-supply while Rahul watched in silence.
The farmers also complained about electricity and claimed that even though they were not using any power, they had been receiving electricity bills. They also demanded that better education facilities should be provided in the regions.
Rahul also visited other areas and enquired about development projects including MNREGA during his day-long trip.
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- 2nd Test: Pakistan Build Commanding Lead Over West Indies
- Hockey: India's Top 5 Victories Over Pakistan
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Prevail 3-2 in Pacy Encounter vs Pakistan
- 'Upbeat West Indies Test side not impacted by bad results'