Kolkata: Mamata holds rally on Martyrs' Day
The day is observed by Mamata in remembrance of 13 Youth Congress workers who were killed in police firing in 1993.
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee held a grand rally in central Kolkata on Saturday to mark the killing of 13 Youth Congress activists in 1993.
The annual gathering of the Shahid Divas programme is attended by lakhs of Mamata Banerjee supporters at Esplanade in central Kolkata.
The day is observed by Mamata in remembrance of 13 Youth Congress workers who were killed in police firing on July 21, 1993. But over the years the rally has transformed into an opportunity for the party to show its strength to its political opponents, mainly the Left.
The West Bengal Chief Minister is likely to announce her political agenda including her stand on economic reforms in the rally. The Gurkha Janmukti Morcha is also participating in the rally.
In the meeting, the West Bengal Chief Minister is expected to spell out her political agenda including her stand on issues of economic reforms like allowing FDI in retail, Pension Bill and futures trading of farm products which she has stiffly resisted so far.
Besides justifying to her supporters her support for UPA's President and Vice President candidates, Mamata is also likely to announce her party's plans in the coming months on the sticky issues over which she is at loggerheads with the Congress-led UPA Government at the Centre.
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
- Rock On 2 Trailer: Farhan, Shraddha, Arjun All Set to Bring Back Magik
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Not Approached for 'Comedy Nights Bachao': Hrithik Roshan
- Krushna Abhishek Wants Healthy Competition With Kapil Sharma