Mamata to participate in anti-hooch padayatra
The West Bengal Chief Minister invited everyone irrespective of political affiliation to participate in the padayatra.
Kolkata: Close on the heels of the state's worst hooch disaster, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will take part in a padayatra on December 30 to raise awareness against consumption of illegal liquor.
"On December 30, a padyatra will be held against this problem of illegal liquor. I'll also participate in it," Banerjee said.
Describing this as a social movement, she invited everyone irrespective of political affiliation to participate in the padayatra.
"The government will destroy illegal distilleries. Alongside this, we also need to raise awareness against consumption of illegal liquor. I invite people from all walks of life and from all political views to participate," the chief minister said.
Starting from College Square in front of the Calcutta University, the procession will terminate at the base of the Gandhi statue on the Maidan.
The hooch tragedy claimed 173 lives last week.
Recommended For You
- Ashwin Breaks Kapil Dev's 37-Year Old Home Season Record
- Badrinath Ki Dulhania: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology