Mamata will face opposition in Singur: CPM leader
The TMC chief had led a strong anti-land acquisition movement against Tata Motors' Nano car plant in Hooghly district's Singur region.
Kolkata: A time will come when West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will face steep opposition from the aggrieved people of Singur, CPM leader Gautam Deb said on Wednesday.
"Mamata Banerjee will be gheraoed in Singur today or tomorrow. Today, the people of Singur opposed Becharam Manna. On Thursday, they will surely oppose her," Deb told a party rally in Kolkata
The Trinamool Congress chief had led a strong anti-land acquisition movement against Tata Motors' Nano car plant in Hooghly district's Singur region.
But Minister of State for Agriculture Becharam Manna, who emerged as the grassroots level face of the movement in 2007, reportedly faced opposition from a section of a people during a visit to Singur on Wednesday.
A large number of Singur farmers, who had not accepted the cheques given by the then Left Front government for giving away land for the plant, are facing hard times. Manna, however, denied he faced an opposition from the farmers.
Many Trinamool Congres workers in Hooghly town are also aggrieved over Banerjee taking away the agriculture portfolio from Singur MLA Rabindranath Bhattacharya.
Bhattacharya, who has been upset since he was moved from the agriculture ministry to statistics and programme implementation department, launched scathing attacks on his party, alleging that a section of workers was engaged in extortion of money and Banerjee knew about it.
The Chief Minister is scheduled to address a public rally in Singur November 30.
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: Andhra Turn Tables on J&K; Himachal Force a Draw Against Tripura
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM