Gujarat elections: GPP withdraws candidate against Modi
Earlier, Shweta had appealed to all non-BJP candidates to withdraw their nominations so that she could put up a strong fight against Modi.
Ahmedabad: It is now going to be a direct battle between Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and Congress nominee and suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt's wife Shweta Bhatt. This comes after the Gujarat Parivartan Party candidate from Maninagar constituency withdrew his nomination. Earlier, Shweta Bhatt had appealed to all non-BJP candidates to withdraw their nominations so that she could put up a strong fight against Modi.
"I appeal to all the political parties which oppose BJP to support me in my political battle against the Gujarat Chief Minister... I appeal especially to GPP Chief Keshubhai Patel to withdraw his candidate," Bhatt told reporters on Sunday. In her maiden press conference, Bhatt said, "I am confident that Keshubhai will accept my appeal."
"I am not fighting this political battle for myself alone ... I am fighting it on behalf of entire Gujarat, so those who have faith in Indian constitution and democracy... political outfits and individuals should support me," she said. On being asked if she had a chance against Modi, Bhatt said, "Absolutely. I am going to win this election.
"I am a very new entrant into politics... I have come with a true heart, to speak the truth, and want to do something." Asked what would be her response if Keshubhai Patel made a counter appeal, Bhatt said, "So far no such appeal has been made from GPP. If it comes, we would see."
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18