Mayawati resigns from UP Legislative Council
The BSP supremo's term to the state Legislative Council was to expire in July 2016.
Lucknow: Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and BSP supremo Mayawati, who has been elected to the Rajya Sabha, has resigned from the membership of the state Legislative Council.
"The resignation signed by Mayawati was received on April 12 and notification in this regard has been issued," sources in the Vidhan Parishad said.
After her election to the Upper House, Mayawati had said that her partymen wanted her to go to Parliament to raise issues concerning the state at the national level.
She had said that her partymen had asked her to increase the party's support base all over the country and not just in Uttar Pradesh.
"They said they would not want me to devote all my time here... now that the Lok Sabha elections are near, I am free to devote my time to increase the party's base all over the country," she had said.
Speculation had been rife ever since Mayawati was ousted from power in the Assembly elections that she would shift her base to Delhi. Her term to the state Legislative Council was to expire in July 2016.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Sunny Pawar Is Winning Hollywood One Award Ceremony at a Time
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- 'Indecision' Review System: India Get 17 Out of 55 Calls Right