Mayawati to confine birthday bash to party office
BSP will host the birthday bash of Chief Minister Mayawati on Jan 15, when she turns 56, at the party headquarters.
Lucknow: Keeping in mind the model code of conduct in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh, the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) will host the birthday bash of Chief Minister Mayawati on January 15, when she turns 56, at the state party headquarters here, an official said.
Unlike in the past, when the birthday bash was hosted by the state government which she heads, this time it will be a party affair. "Behenji's birthday celebration is being hosted by the party and it is certainly not a violation of the election model code of conduct," claimed state BSP president Swami Prasad Maurya. According to him, Mayawati would also release the seventh volume of her autobiography with the latest account of her achievements.
While Maurya feigned ignorance about it, sources in the BSP indicated that Mayawati was also likely to release her election manifesto on the occasion. Maurya, however, claimed, "It is unlikely since the birthday function would not be mixed with the election, otherwise the election commission might link it to poll expenses."
All major party functionaries are expected to attend the function, but government officials have been told to keep away.
Mayawati's birthday celebrations were usually associated with fund collection drives. Three years ago, an executive engineer of the state public works department was attacked and killed by a BSP MLA in Auraiya district because the young man refused to shell out money demanded by the MLA for 'Behenji's birthday'. The MLA eventually landed in jail.
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif